Saturday, January 24, 2015

Voices from the Route: Brandon's Story

Brandon's brother on horseback

We’ll be doing a post very soon on our awesome Arkansas Delegation, along with Senator Lamar Alexander, and their call to extend the comment period on the EIS. Right now, we really just want to bring you another voice from the route…

On Thursday, President Obama gave his sixth State of the Union speech. Predictably, Clean Line took a snippet on energy:

“America is number one in windpower.”

…and added their own footnote on their Facebook page:

“We need long-haul transmission lines to move America’s vast renewable energy resources to market.”

Now, I know the POTUS talked a bit about infrastructure, but I don’t recall him saying anything quite like that… He did say this though:

“And as a new generation of veterans comes home, we owe them every opportunity to live the American Dream they helped defend.

So, this is Brandon Bishop from Oklahoma:

"Here’s my story. I didn’t have a lot of direction in my life when I was younger. I joined the Marine Corps when I was 19. I was just trying to get a start. I figured if nothing else, after serving at least I’d have the opportunity to get a better job. Got married two months before I joined. It was hard on us, but we made it. I served for four years and went to Desert Storm.

I don’t feel entitled, but I feel like I’ve done a lot of things that others haven’t. I’ve served my country, worked hard, paid my taxes. I’m a disabled veteran and a productive citizen.

They’re wanting to run that line right down the center of the land where I want to build.  I’m not a rich man, but I’ve got that land out there…That was passed down to me. That’s what we do. I’m setting my kids up for success. I’ve been setting this up for years and years so that they would have something... A place.  We were going to build a retirement home there. A little log home.  My daughter grew up here. She’s really fond of that land, she’s got a lot of memories. She and her grandfather worked horses there.

These people (Clean Line) don’t know anything about me. They want to run through my property and destroy my hopes and dreams. I don’t have any ill intent for anybody, but it’s appalling to me… for them not even give me a say-so. It’s legalized thievery to me. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

So many people anymore, they sell out… but we just want to run the cattle and cut the hay, appreciate the beauty of the land. If we got another 200 acre tract of land, what’s to stop them from doing the same thing there? To me it’s abusive to the American people.

How much is enough? Before the people have had enough of it? All I’m telling you is my honest opinion.  And even if I wasn’t on the line, I’d feel the same way. I’d stand up for my neighbors the way I’d want them to stand up for me."



No comments:

Post a Comment